Saturday, December 22, 2012

Review: SisterChicks in Gondolas


Sisterchicks® in Gondolas!
by Robin Jones Gunn 
A Christy Award Winner


 Description:
Jenna and Sue have been sisters-in-law for nearly thirty years but inseparable friends for only the last five. When Jenna is invited to a week’s stay at a fifteenth century restored palace on a quiet canal in Venice, Sue is her travel companion of choice. The catch? They must cook for a group that is staying at the palace for a retreat. With about six words of Italian between them, a map, and a keen appetite for gelato, Jenna and Sue enter into the lilting gondola-paced Italian lifestyle. Together they discovering corners of Venice most tourists never see and over boiling pots of pasta they dare each other to dream again. These two Sisterchicks realize that sometimes when serving God, the most important thing to do is just show up…and watch for goodness and mercy to follow close behind.

My Review:
Totally fun book! I love it!
SisterChicks In Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn took me totally by surprise, in a very good way.  I was hooked from page two of the Prologue. At times it could have been written about me. (mid-life crisis, memory loss) Sue tells Jenna to keep a notepad by her bed and one in her purse at all times, 
so she can write down things as she thinks or dreams about them so she won't forget.
I laughed out load so many times it put a smile on my face. Oh to be able to go on a real SisterChick retreat. 

I was blown away by how much this book also "talked" to my soul.
Here is an example from the book. All the new experiences, tastes, encounters and small challenges were displays of how God could care for Sue more than I ever could. My job wasn't to diagnose her or counsel her or try to teach her anything. We were students together. Equals in every way.  Sue and I were victims of grace.
I felt as if I'd just been shown my place---a clarification of my role in our friendship. I had places deep inside me that I needed to examine and that needed healing, too, but Sue was not trying to fix those in me. All I had to do was be here and receive the grace that fell on me.
Wow, that says it all. 
I give this book a 5+ out of 5. SisterChick In Gondolas is book full of truth that I won't forget. 

I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah and Blogging for Book for my honest opinion.



ROBIN JONES GUNN is the best-selling and award-winning author of more than seventy books, with over 4 million copies of her titles sold worldwide. Best known among them are the Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, and Christy and Todd: College Years teen series. A Christy Award winner and a two-time finalist for excellence in fiction, Robin has also been a Gold Medallion finalist. She and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.


You can purchase it at these links:





No comments: